Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Glad to be back












Shirley and I are glad to be back home in Ontario after our cruise. The experience of going to Hawaii, being on a large ship named after the town I was born in (Zaandam), and seeing lots of exotic places like San Diego, Honolulu, Waikiki, Lahaina, Hilo, and Ensenada Mexico was unforgettable. We rented cars at each stop and did our own tours of the area, at a much reduced cost than the organized tours available. We spent an extra two days in San Diego and I was really impressed with that city. Beautiful place!

Whale watching was something we did often, either seeing humpback whales off the port side or looking at various specimens floating in the hot-tub...

The entertainment was excellent, and a highlight was the comedian and ventriloquist Mike Robinson who was from Nova Scotia. Mike put on an excellent show and happened to mention the town he was from. I spoke to him later and learned he was the 'real' version of my Leaving Fletchville fictional character Leon George, a descendant of the Black Loyalists who were given (poor) land in Nova Scotia in the late 1700's as a reward for being loyal to the British throne during the American Revolution.

During the many days at sea I was able to revise and get Shirley and my brother Erik to proof read the latest manuscript I am working on. I am hoping to send a sample chapter off to various publishers in the next few weeks.










No comments:

Post a Comment